The reception Grocery has received from users since launching has been great. Several of the reviews really capture why we wanted to make the app:
Couldn't have said it better ourselves, and in that spirit we've been working on some meaningful improvements to the app while staying true to the simple design and focused purpose.
The main grocery list interface has received lots of attention. When we released Grocery the title and notes fields were aligned horizontally, which limited the maximum length of titles that could fit on most phones. Stacking the fields vertically removes that limitation and improves readability. It also frees up space on the right side for persistent drag handles to quickly re-order items manually. Grocery learns the order that you shop for items pretty quickly, but it's still helpful to be able to move an item into place if you already know where it should go.
We're also introducing a new feature that we call Quick Add. This feature uses your shopping history to help you remember items you shop for frequently and quickly add them to your list. Quick Add makes suggestions based on how often you shop for repeated items. If you buy Eggs every 6 days, and it's been 5 days since your last trip to the store, then you would expect to see Eggs on your Grocery list. Quick Add learns to recognize those patterns and make adding those items to your list faster.
Grocery 1.1 includes many other general usability improvements:
- Use custom URL Schemes to open Grocery and add items
- Improvements to Apple Watch Complication and Snapshot reliability
- Support for Handoff from Apple Watch to iPhone
- Alexa can add items to your Grocery list. Check the FAQ for setup instructions.
- We made a handy text-selection-menu shortcut to "Clean Up" a title by moving extra text besides the title into the notes field.
- A much requested "Share this app" button to simplify sharing the app with friends and family :)
- Emoji now correctly appear in the title and notes fields
- Keyboard shortcuts for iPad
- Performance improvements for manual re-ordering
- The number of items in your list are visible at the top of the list
- Grocery automatically scrolls to reveal the position of new items after they're added to your list.
If you haven't gone for a trip to the store with Grocery yet, give it a try. We think it could be exactly what you need too, but if it's not please reach out and let us know!